10 Tips for Proper Posture in Adults
Good posture delivers increased energy, better breathing, improved circulation,
and less wear-and-tear on your joints. If your spine is not properly aligned, your
muscles and ligaments have to work harder to keep you upright and this can
result in strain and pain. Try incorporating these simple tips into your daily routine
and talk to your healthcare provider about other ways to keep your spine aligned
and your aches and pains at a minimum.
1. Place a small towel or pillow in the curve of your lower spine to provide additional
support for the low back when sitting.
2.When sitting, make sure that both feet are flat on the floor.
3. Sleep on your back or side rather than your stomach, and keep your head position neutral.
4. Avoid forward bending after long period of inactivity or rest.
5.When knitting or reading, take frequent breaks and change the position of your body.
6.Try to keep things light by packing only the things you will need. If you use a walker, use a basket attachment to transport
7. When lifting objects, bend your knees to lift with ease. Avoid forward bending and twisting your body while bending.
8.Provide support to your back, knees, ankles and arches by wearing a low-heeled, shoe.
(Note: Choose soles with good traction to help avoid slips and falls.)
9. Never cradle the phone between your neck and shoulder.
10. Strong core muscles help maintain appropriate posture and reduce strain on the spine.
Taken from the OCA